Saturday, December 13, 2008

There is a Song for Everything

This is my music journal, you are welcome to read it, it is just a reflection of the songs in my life past and present.

I have to tell you something, I am surrounded by spirits, the spirits of those who have lived and passed over, and of those who are yet to live. It is wonderful, but it is also a lot to handle. At times in my past I have not handled it. In a particularly black spell, I actually shut myself in the bottom of my wardrobe and curled up, spent the night singing every song I could think of until the morning came.

I think from that time in my life my inner ear, has developed into a 24-7 radio station. I don't have to sing the songs myself, they come in all the time on their own now. And not just when I am not coping, but sound bytes all the time, triggered by words, events and memories, funny, stressful, joyful... whatever the situation, it seems there is a song.

There was a song for when my boyfriend, performing a strip tease for me, got a button caught in his nose. There was the song that was playing when my niece Amber took her first steps - Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Billy Thorpe and The Aztecs. There is my psych up song for when I have to go out at night, Rebel Rebel, by David Bowie. There are the songs I hear when my Nanna (who has passed) comes to see me, Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree With Anyone Else But Me, When The Moon Was Young, and Goodnight Sweetheart. Sometimes Scarlet Ribbons, and Goodnight Ladies for my nanna and great aunt Avis.

There are the break up songs, the funeral songs, the falling in love songs, party songs, bridal waltzes, we all have songs that are special to us, and this is the place where I will reflect on the songs in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment